Saturday, March 9, 2013

The High is So Sweet

My legs were sore for days! I totally didn't care though. I finally was making progress! So last Saturday was my last regular season intramural soccer game, and I scored a goal! Go me!! It wasn't as exciting as I would have liked it to be because when I made the shot a guy on my team stopped it and kicked it in. The refs counted it as my goal though because if a girl makes a shot it counts as two points for their team. Completely sexist, I know. But at the moment, I did not care. We lost anyway...the other team's girls were so good! Man it made me almost wish I had grown up playing soccer instead of gymnastics. But then I remembered how much cooler gymnastics is. After the game we decided to play even more! It was a gorgeous day with sunshine and mud. Our game had been indoors so of course we played outside! All in all we ended up playing about 3 hours of soccer that day. It was so awesome! 

I had almost forgotten the feelings that come along with being emotionally connected to a sport. I haven't competed in exactly 3 years. Still every time I see a gymnastics meet or a track race I unintentionally zone out. I just cannot sit still. My brain is on fire. I am the loudest cheer leader, and I begin to think about getting back out on the floor for another round of competition. Athleticism runs in my veins and keeps my heart pumping. At first it might suck that my entire body is sore, or will be, but once I start to dance or run or flip the pain just slips into the back of my head. I get so focused on perfection that pain can't exist.

Dancing is my personal, nonverbal diary. It allows my mind to shut off so that my body can take control, it lets my physical awareness be brought to the forefront. In this state I can let out anger and worry. I feel empowered when I move. I can literally overcome sadness while I am twisting in time to either my internal rhythms or the external beats. 

Gymnastics is a whole different story. It is so difficult to express something while I am flipping because the laws of gravity won't allow for it. One wrong move and I won't be able to express anything for a while.
( Figuratively speaking) But what this incredible sport allows me to do is focus outside of everything. Instead of shutting off my brain I turn it on to high power. Along with that My body also wants to take control, but there cannot be a leader. I simply let them work together. Perfect synchrony of body and mind. My mind is then taken away from everything outside of the gym and my body can release energy and build strength. 


Soccer, running, and triple jumping are all goal oriented. There is a definite visible mark to be met. I can touch the goal post, I can see the finish line and when I jump I can feel my spikes crunch the cold sand. These are quick outs. Like a fast acting drug my brain will automatically shift into competition settings so that I can push myself. The high is so sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment