Tuesday, January 8, 2013

As We Wished- The Penny Date

1:30 am Fairbault MN and I find myself lost, sort of. I wouldn't be so much lost if he hadn't of gotten pulled over for blocking the entrance to a street. Eventually I get less lost until we find each other. I park in a run down lot outside of McDonald's and we take off. To where are we going? At this point I have no clue. Not even the slightest feeling that this night would be different from all of the rest. Not nights that is, but experiences. As he drives we sing and smile. He parks his so very not conspicuous car and just looks at me grinning. I take this to mean " We're here!" but I still have no idea where here is...at all. There are no more roads, just a dead end and a huge forest. 

(This might be a good time to tell you that I am afraid of the dark!)

We walk along the edge for a while, him trying to convince me that it's safe. I know he is right, but it still looks so scary from the outside! We hold hands tightly while walking through, in fact we even found a path. I close my eyes, counting to ten, when I open them not only has my gaze adjusted but the sight is breath taking. No stars but the full moon was glowing and radiating the happiness that I felt. My shoes were easily kicked off as underneath the sky ran a quiet cold river pushed up against warm white sand.

From his pocket he pulls out two rolls of pennies. Handing me one he explains that tonight we will be making wishes and throwing the gems into the water. The best part is that each wish will be verbal. 

I could tell you about the 2.5 hours of conversation that the 98 wishes helped us to create but even knowing that wouldn't bring you any closer to knowing him. As we wished we danced. As we wished we laughed. As we wished we felt. As we wished we got eaten alive by bugs. The last wish was made by him. To always be together even if not physically. To remember and never forget. To remember how quickly and deeply our friendship began and ran in us. 

6 months ago today I found his penny. I had lost mine earlier that day, but I wanted his more. He had set it on a desk in plain sight knowing perfectly that I would be the one to find it and know it's meaning. As we wished we smiled.



No comments:

Post a Comment